‘Tu cheez badi hai mast mast
Tu cheez badi hai mast.’
Udit Narayan, Kavita Krishnamurthy, 1994
‘Bitches ain’t shit but hoes and tricks
Lick on these nuts and suck the d*ck.’
Snoop Dogg, 1992
‘Hai tujhpe right mera, tu hai delight mera’
Mika Singh, 2013
‘How come you taste so good
Just like a black girl should.’
Rolling Stones, 1971
• Half a bowl of adequate synonyms for the word ‘whore’
• Three tablespoons of blinding lust
• Half a kg of her body parts that will best cater to the male gaze
• Five teaspoons of degrading/dehumanising sexual imagery, the raw kind
• Half a cup mention of cars, drugs, alcohol and money to enhance the true gold digger flavour
• A full bowl of crushed consent
• A ‘gori’ for garnish
• Wash your hands before we start, this is about to get dirty.
• To prepare the dough, lay down a woman as an accessory and knead with hard hitting cuss words until her bodily integrity is completely destroyed.
• Add the objectifying elements, while stirring your sexual drive slowly. Make sure the mixture is deprived of any consent. It would ruin the mood.
• In another bowl, pour a glass of harassing undertones displayed as love making and gradually turn the heat up as you legitimise eve-teasing, sadism and stalking as love.
• Mix thoroughly until the mixture and her self respect are reduced to a pulp.
• In a heated pan, add arguments like “it’s just a song” and stir vigorously while mouthing the above listed lyrics. (“Bitches ain’t shit but hoes and…”)
• Keep stirring until you start to sing, accept, internalise, perform and justify the “just a song”. Preferably idolise the icons that served it to you.
• As per taste, add salt and dismiss this entire conversation as a salty feminist rant.
• Garnish with a music video where you cannot tell the difference between a body from a bouncing ragdoll.
• Best served cold.
misogyny music to my ears.
Mansi Vijay is a final-year undergraduate student of English Literature from Miranda House, Delhi University. She is also a spoken word artist and writer.